Hello from Je_ches in China

Tell us a little about yourself, share your social media and websites
Je_ches

Hello from Je_ches in China

Post by Je_ches »

Hi, this is Je_ches, an Italian living in Shanghai. I got my first camera, the em10 iii last year before heading to a safari in Kenya (it was before Covid, a different age). And so I went...In hindsight the kit lense was not the best choice, but what did I know!
I am currently participating in a workshop group every Saturday morning to learn and practice more and Rob's channel is an amazing resource that made me understand my camera better. Since I had another trip planned whithin China last summer, I got the 40-150mm (of course after seeing it in Rob's videos) and I loooooove it!

Now my kit lens broke and I am seeking advice: to get another 14-42, or to get a 17?
DeMorcan

Re: Hello from Je_ches in China

Post by DeMorcan »

Welcome to the group. You have a nice camera to start with. As to which lens to get that depends on you more than the lens. If you were getting photos you wanted with the 12-42 and used the zoom a lot, a prime will not replace that. If you shot inside or in low light and the 14-42 was limiting you, then you need a prime. Probably the zoom first and then the prime. Here the zooms are very inexpensive used and the prime is much more. I ended up with a very nice 12-60/3.5-5.6 for my zoom on my EM1II. I find I use the 12 end of it a lot and much more than 14. That little extra wider makes a lot of photos for me. it is a little more than 14-42 and I do not know if it fits your budget. But perhaps consider it.
Last edited by DeMorcan on 21 Jun 2021 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Post by Rob Trek »

Welcome, Je_ches!

As for lens recommendations, I'd recommend the Panasonic 12-32mm kit lens over the 14-42mm. It's wider focal length is more useful as DeMorcan has suggested and it's a little sharper and more compact.

While I love the 17mm, I think you should get a little more experience with your camera before choosing your first prime. The 17,25, & 45 are all great choices.

Using your kit lenses, take a few photowalks shooting at 17mm, then 25mm, then 45mm. Pick one focal length and stick to it the whole day. Repeat until you have decided which focal length you like best. Then you'll make the right choice on your first prime.
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
Je_ches

Post by Je_ches »

Thank you both!
I ended up buying a used panasonic 12-32mm and cannot wait to try it over the weekend!!!