Sensor Size and random thoughts - I added an interesting video

Siegfried

Sensor Size and random thoughts - I added an interesting video

Post by Siegfried »

How does it happen that people accept something like the "size and capture" theory? You will find more about this question on my blog. Go to my "Size and Capture theory and Marketing" article. I agree there are differences between sensor sizes. My concern is the fact that marketers have no problem to promote incorrect information to sell more full-frame cameras...

What is the alternative? Consider these 2 variables:-

- The sensitivity of the sensor (size is a sub catagory of Optical Efficiency which is a sub catagory of senstivity)
- The size of the Sensor Noise Floor (SNR and the Photons to Electrons conversion ratio (graph) - see my blog)

Photographers should master the image sensor and digital cameras. For example, what are the benefits of using a BSI sensor, or how many photographers know that all image sensors have a noise floor? This explains why we see noise from both the Sony A7R IV or the A7S III.

How does these 2 variables help us?

- Sensitivity - the ability of the sensor to capture more details (a good example is shadow details)
- Noise floor & SNR - the noise characteristics of your camera or how to control the visible noise

This knowledge can help you to better evaluate different cameras and different types of sensors. It's also possible to compare different cameras based on these characteristics and a few simple tests. A good understanding of these principles will improve your experience with your camera and your image quality.

Fuji used these variables to explain the new 40MP sensor and why it performs the same as the X-T4 (26MP) sensor in terms of noise and the ability to record details (sensor sensitivity). You should be able to recognise these points when you study the X-T5 webpage...

Folks, there are much more to image sensors than being without options with your "inferior" or "small" crop sensor camera.

Best

Siegfried
Last edited by Siegfried on 07 Feb 2023 10:23, edited 2 times in total.
Siegfried

A quick update about the sensor and exposure...

Post by Siegfried »

See the link below for an excellent video and examples of setting your exposure.

Also, see the article I recently updated. This will enable you to explain the examples in the above video. Why is this important? You need this knowledge to make informed decisions when you are photographing.

https://myolympusomd.blogspot.com/2021/ ... 64_19.html

Duade Paton gives great explanations for subjects like rolling-shutter. In fact, it reminds me of the teething problems Olympus experienced with M43 mirrorless cameras like the first EM5. I also like the way he uses specific cameras for different applications...

Finally, good information is fun and informative and highlights the poor quality information we see from large forums and camera reviews. Undisclosed promoters should be banned...

Best

Siegfried
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Re: Sensor Size and random thoughts - I added an interesting video

Post by Rob Trek »

Thanks again for sharing!
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D