LCD panel shuts off during night shots

Eric D

LCD panel shuts off during night shots

Post by Eric D »

HI folks,
The first time the LCD panel on the back of my EM10-mkII turned off during a shot of some Christmas lights I thought the camera was broken or I screwed something badly. But no ongoing damage, and now I notice that the LCD screen usually turns off when I try to take a night shot. EVF never does. If the panel does stay on, I can't tilt the screen without it going blank. Is there something wrong with my camera, or does the dark do something to the panel or EVF sensor? Very curious camera behaviour.

~ Eric
Rob Trek
Site Admin

Re: LCD panel shuts off during night shots

Post by Rob Trek »

Seems like something is wrong. Try setting the LCD to stay on. Do this by toggling the evf button.
You can support this forum here: Buy me a coffee

:D Thank you! :D
Eric D

Re: LCD panel shuts off during night shots

Post by Eric D »

Good suggestion. Having done this, I can confirm that the LCD panel only lights up when the screen is tipped upward slightly. Flat or tipped down it goes dark, although the touch sensitivity for the shutter still works. I have discovered a discussion on DPReview and Youtube that other EM10 mkII owners have the same problem, which lies in the ribbon wire connecting camera with screen. Not an unknown problem, but a pain. I can try to live with it (EVF only, or a slightly tipped screen), or have it repaired I guess. Not sure I want to mess around with it myself, despite the assurances of a couple of self-repair videos. I am thinking of upgrading to an EM5 (or the equivalent) one day, but this isn't the only manufacturing problem I have had with the camera. My bad luck? Are Olympus/OM cameras generally well built?