How to use the Gradation function for ETTR and more...

Siegfried

How to use the Gradation function for ETTR and more...

Post by Siegfried »

Hello guys

I have been using the Gradation function more over the past year. The Gradation function is an undiscovered masterpiece from Olympus. For example, the Gradation High option allows us to saturate (ETTR) the sensor without clipping the highlights. The Enhanced Raw Format from Olympus and Workspace allow us to reset the image back to neutral gray. You guys did discover the Enhanced Raw Format, right?

I wrote an article about the Gradation function and ETTR. You can see it https://myolympusomd.blogspot.com/2023/ ... ction.html

I also found a better way to explain the differences between sensor sizes. In short, we can say there are optical differences between sensor sizes BUT the technical aspects are the same for all sensor sizes. The optical differences are common knowledge but the technical aspects are a gray zone for most photographers. For example, all sensors have a noise floor and benefit from having a saturated sensor or max SNR. Mastering these basic concepts will change your ability to apply your camera to its max creative capability...

Scroll down on my blog and see my last 5 articles for more info. For example, see the 7 points each photographer should know.

If you like an interesting read/study, go see the different press releases from past Olympus cameras. In one of my articles, I commented on a review of the Fuji XH-2 (40MP camera). Read that article because it shows how we learn much from the manufacturer's info (press releases)...

Best

Siegfried