DXO PhotoLab 6 Processing Times

Mark13

DXO PhotoLab 6 Processing Times

Post by Mark13 »

A couple of years ago I went down the rabbit hole of building small form factor (SFF – under 20 liters volume) PC’s to improve my photo processing times versus my old weak laptop. I recently updated my latest SFF PC build, got my new OM-1, and upgraded my software to DXO PhotoLab 6. I wanted to see just how long the difference in processing time would be between what I call my high wattage PC build - with the best last generation AMD 16 core / 32 thread CPU with a RTX 3060Ti 200 watt graphics card versus a lower wattage 8 core / 16 thread AMD CPU with a low 75 watt draw graphics card. I then took a batch of 77 RAW OM-1 files and processed them through DXO PhotoLab 6 with the following adjustments applied:

Standard DXO Correction (including lens)
Smart Lighting
Clear View Plus
Deep Prime XD Noise Reduction

and output highest quality JPEG’s that each ranged in size from 28 to 32.5MB.

The high wattage system completed the 77 JPEG processing in 2 minutes 43 seconds.
The low wattage system completed the 77 JPRG processing in 8 minutes 12 seconds.

If you are interested in more details about the two PC builds you can see the testing report I published at:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threa ... son.18901/
Mark13

Re: DXO PhotoLab 6 Processing Times

Post by Mark13 »

Correction to my initial posting:

After completing my initial posting, I was troubled by the extremely long processing time taken by the 5700G CPU / A2000 GPU processing combination. I redid the tests of both systems, and also added two additional configurations using the Sliger S610 and 5700G CPU with a ITX length 3060 GPU, and also ran the 5700G APU using only its integrated graphics. Run times for the A2000 GPU were run three times to ensure more accurate time measurements. I put the mis-measurement down to my user error with limited usage of the new to me DXO software.

A couple of years ago I went down the rabbit hole of building small form factor (SFF – under 20 liters volume) PC’s to improve my photo processing times versus my old weak laptop. I recently updated my latest SFF PC build, got my new OM-1, and upgraded my software to DXO PhotoLab 6. I wanted to see just how long the difference in processing time would be between what I call my high wattage PC build - with the best last generation AMD 16 core / 32 thread CPU with a RTX 3060Ti 200 watt graphics card versus a lower wattage 8 core / 16 thread AMD CPU with a low 75 watt draw graphics card. I then took a batch of 77 RAW OM-1 files and processed them through DXO PhotoLab 6 with the following adjustments applied:

Standard DXO Correction (including lens)
Smart Lighting
Clear View Plus
Deep Prime XD Noise Reduction

and output highest quality JPEG’s that each ranged in size from 28 to 35MB.

The high wattage system completed the 77 JPEG processing in 2 minutes 43 seconds & 2 minutes 35 seconds
The low wattage system completed the 77 JPRG processing in 3 minutes 31 seconds; 3 minutes 25 seconds; 3 minutes 19 seconds
A mid wattage system using a 150 watt graphics card in 3 minutes 42 seconds
Using only inegrated graphics took 7 minutes 14 seconds to process the 77 RAW files.

If you are interested in more details about the two PC builds you can see the testing report I published at:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threa ... son.18901/